Challenges of Electricty Outdoors

AS I built the track, it was raised on Hardiboard and had no dirt.  I ran the wires as needed to feed the power sectors of the track.  There are about 100 different sectors for the track layout and each of these had individual wires to feed the voltage to the track.  The wires feed…

Lightening Strike just before Simon’s Birthday Party

Well it had to happen but did have to happen 2 weeks before my grandson’s 5th birthday? On 7/2/17 we had a large electrical storm and lightening struck my next door neighbors yard. He lost TVs and other components. My house electrical was protected by my whole house surge protector but any networked component got…

Getting the Electronics to Work

After we got everything wired up with the Digitrax components we started to have several problems. When we moved the locomotives the sound would shut off and locomotives moved slower than I though they should.  We originally though it was because the layout was so big 600 ft of track. But the zone / sections…

Summer Vacations and A lot of Work Done

Brandon and Chele were home for a little over a week after the beach and we got a lot done on the train. We were able to wire up all the track electronics and the turnouts connecting them to the (8) DS64s abd (5) BDL168s which are Digitrax products.  Papa got to test the programs…

Continueing Electronics Wiring

It has been a good week to work on the electronics, Finally in Atlanta I have a week of no rain. Since I am working 2 jobs, it is tough to get several days in a row to work on the train layout.  So I have been getting up early and going out at dawn…

Learning JMRI

Since all of my electronics were performing correctly it was now time to determine how to automate the processes.  I have selected JMRI which is a Java based open system that connects to model railroads.  As I have talked about previously I have standardized on Digitrax and I have connected my computer running JMRI to the…

Test the Electronics

I finally got the first phase of the track, signals, and turnouts wired up. I was able to test out each of the boards. I had trouble with the BDL186 showing the occupied blocks. After a lot of checking I noticed the green network light was not behaving as the other circuit boards did. This…